CFI’s Business Intelligence & Data Analysis (BIDA)™ Certification Program covers the most important skills required to become a world-class data analyst.
Introduction to Business Intelligence
- Business Intelligence – Definitions
Which of the following statements about business intelligence is NOT correct?
- Business intelligence is the practice of turning data into actionable insights that allow business leaders to change or maintain a course of action.
- Business intelligence focuses on predicting what will happen or which outcome is most likely.
- The key skills of business intelligence include basic statistics, data transformation, data visualization, and business knowledge.
- Business intelligence requires different processes, tools, skills, and roles to work together.
- BI Processes – Extract, Transform & Load (ETL)
ETL refers to any time when data is taken from one source, transformed in some way, and loaded into a different destination. Data Engineers do a lot of ETL between database systems, whilst Data Analysts extract data from files and databases and transform it for specific projects.
Which of the following best describes the extract, transform & load (ETL) task of the data analyst’s role?
- Write formulas to calculate business performance
- Combine tables to create data models that link related dataImport, combine, and transform data.
- Convert data into the desired format before loading the data into a file or data model
- Document data models and metric definitions
3. Data Analyst – Common Tools
The Data Analyst is responsible for doing basic data transformation using SQL and Power Query, before building data models and metrics. Often, their role also overlaps with the Data Viz Specialist.
Select two tools that are most used for data transformation.
- Power Pivot
- Power Query
4. The Business Intelligence Team
Understanding the source of your data is absolutely essential to great analysis. That means understanding where it came from, how it was collected, what assumptions were made, and exactly what it means?
If you had a query about the integrity of data in the company data warehouse, which of these team members would be most likely to answer your question?
- Data visualization specialist
- Data analyst
- Data scientist
- Data engineer
5. Types of Database Systems
Different types of database systems exist for different reasons. Some are optimized to capture and modify transactional data, whilst others are more suited to analysis.
With that in mind, what are the main functions of a data warehouse? Select ALL correct answers.
- Stores raw data in its original format
- Optimize data for analysis and human interaction
- Write formulas to calculate business metrics
- Combine data from multiple sources
6. BI Roles – The Data Engineer
The data engineer is one of the most technical roles in a Business Intelligence team.
Which of these tools might form part of the data engineer’s toolset? Select ALL correct answers.
- Power Pivot
- Microsoft Azure
7. The BI Process
The Business Intelligence process combines roles, tools, and skills to turn data into actionable insights.
Put the BI process in the correct order:
- 1. Data collection & storage: In this stage, data is collected & stored
- 2. Data Transformation using ETL: In this stage, data is transformed after data collection
- 3. Creating data models, metrics & analysis: After data transformation, analysis is done by creating data models
- 4. Data visualisation and storytelling: After analysis, the same is visualised and story is created basis the data
- 5. Report sharing: After visualisation, report is prepared for presentation
- 6. Decision making using data driven insights: After the report, the decision are made using the report
8. The BI Team – Roles and Responsibilities
There are many different processes and tools in business intelligence, each requiring different skills. For that reason, it’s natural that specific roles have evolved to deal with each process.
Match the job title to the correct definition:
- A .Bi developer
- B.Data engineer
- C.data visualisation specialist
- D.Business leadership
- E..Data analytics
9. Communicating with Data – Telling Stories
The term “data stories” is a buzz word in the world of BI. Which of the following might be the purposes of a data story? Select ALL correct answers.
- To provide centralized data storage and can be used as the one version of the truth.
- To provide details on the current data over time, across categories or locations.
- To help identify the root causes of an issue or success.
- To help identify the actual or forecasted consequences of the current data.
10. Communicating with Data – Creating Powerful Visuals
Visuals and dashboards are one of the final steps in the business intelligence process. They are THE key to enable business leaders to make great decisions, more often.
Which of the following should you include when creating stunning, insightful visuals?
- Color choices are accessible to color blind audiences.
- Chart and axis titles and units are clearly labeled.
- Key data points of interest are highlighted.
- Bars are 3D and distracting.
- Color choices reflect the story you are trying to tell.
- What is your favorite color?
11. Key Concepts of Data – Data Structures
Data structures help store one or more values in an appropriate way for our analysis.
Match the types of data structure with their descriptions:
- A.Store a single column table – Tables
- B.Store a single value – Variable
- C.Store multiple values in rows and columns – Lists
12. Key Concepts of Data – Data Types
In this course, we highlighted 9 basic data types. Whilst they can be known by slightly different names in each tool, the reason they exist remains consistent.
Which of the following are reasons why defining data types is important? Select ALL correct answers.
- Data types assist software to understand how it can manipulate values.
- Defining data types helps us focus attention on key messages in our visuals.
- Defining data types help optimize the amount of memory used to store our data.
13. Key Concepts of Data – Functions
Functions allow us to manipulate values. Which of the following is a Boolean function?
- AND(X = 1, Y = 2)
14. Key Concepts of Data – Consolidating Data
The Extract Transform & Load process includes the consolidation of data, often bringing data together from multiple tables.
If you want to combine the rows of multiple tables into one as shown below, which method will you use?
- Linking tables
- Appending tables
- Joining tables
15. Key Concepts of Data – Table Joins
Another method of data consolidation is JOINing tables. This time, instead of appending additional rows, JOINing tables creates new columns of data, soured from a related table.
Which of the following are used to create links between the two tables being JOINed?
- House Keys
- Primary Keys
- Hot Keys
- Foreign Keys
16. Key Concepts of Data – File Types
Excel, CSV & JSON are all common file types in Business Intelligence. Each file type has a number of pros and cons.
Select ALL of the correct descriptions of a CSV file.
- It stores values in an efficient format.
- It offers robust and centralized data storage.
- It stores both formulas and formatting.
- The values in the file are separated by commas.